Saturday 28 December 2013

The Year That Was: A 2013 Reflection




In April, I had to move from a wonderful place in Limpopo which has very fertile land and lots of fruits. Though the reasons for moving have been unclear, it takes lots of courage and confidence to speak out about the reality. I moved due to Xenophobic attack. This may be a sad thing but the great news is that I survived 2 incidences, one of food poisoning and the other a planned physical attack. This is not an exceptional or isolated case as there have been recurrent incidences to innocent and hardworking Africans and can only hope that one day, it shall come to a complete end. Thanks to my wonderful organization which withdrew me immediately and to my wonderful workmates who continue with the work which we started in supporting communities. It has always been interesting to discover that the people, who commit these heinous acts, do so due to sheer ignorance, lots of insecurity and self-mistrust. For sure what does not kill you, builds you and so I learnt to be more careful and trust my instincts.

Through interaction with a diverse community of people, my patience and viewpoint of so many things changed for the better. I am able to appreciate a lot of things which I had initially taken for granted.
I have come to appreciate and connect more with my family and close friends while blessing and wishing my enemies well. Through-out the years, my family has always been and will still remain my central focus after God. I have very loving Mother, Father, Sisters, Brothers and Partner who have a very special place in my heart. My close friends, mentors, workmates, fellows and other relatives have continued to be wonderful in my 2013 journey. All these have been a great blessing to me.

Young people in the wonderful Itaava Development Youth Group (IDYG) supported each other and took up its leadership to continue with the great vision of developing each other and the community as well. These are upcoming great leaders in 4-5 years time. IDYG is a youth group I established in my rural community in the year 2009 after University. Thanks to another organization I co-founded with a wonderful team of top-notch professions, the Partnership for Growth Foundation (PFGF).The team has been supporting the young people from the youth group & the community by offering them jobs and to the schools (students / learners and teachers) by offering academic reading material and space through a community Library which they direly needed.  

Lastly, we lost Nelson R. Mandela, a great son of Africa and world Icon. He was a great inspiration to many generations and will remain so forever. Seeing him as he lay peacefully in Union buildings on December 12, 2013 was a proof that everyone is a mortal being and must play his/her role in this world. My prayers are with his widow Graca Machel who really has had a difficult time in mourning and to the rest of his family as well.

As a parting shot, I would like to share Robin Sharma’s 53 greatest Lessons of 2013. My Top 10 that resonated with me this year were:
  1. Why resist change when it’s the main source of your growth?
  2. Adore your parents. You’ll miss them when they’re gone.
  3. Have the discipline to clean out all the energy-draining people in your life. You really do rise or fall to the level of your associations.
  4. Talk less. Do more.
  5. Model Mandela and you’ll find at the end of your life you lived an awesome one.
  6. Money invested in personal development and professional growth generally has a 30X plus return on investment.   
  7. Self-belief and self- trust is so incredibly important.
  8. Spend time in nature to renew and refuel.
  9. The more you serve, the more joyful you’ll become.
  10. Life’s short. Have fun.
As the year 2013 comes to an end, I appreciate you very much and pray that all your wishes for 2014 are granted. I believe you will be an outstanding person in the coming year.



2 comments:

  1. Jeez Xenophobia - take care of yourself Agnetta.

    Nice lessons learnt - I agree on the talk is cheap execution is everything as well as the one
    Money invested in personal development and professional growth generally has a 30X plus return on investment - though my case has been more time than money
    Self-belief and self- trust is so incredibly important - absolutely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John and for sure I am taking care of myself very much.

    ReplyDelete